Sunday, February 10, 2008

Experiencing the Experimental

Three or four weeks in and i already know more about experimental film than i do about women. I am really enjoying monday mornings where I'm chillin and actually feeling productive. Perhaps this is what i've been lacking in my film studies. I'm finally getting my hands dirty and learning through the process (yes i wash my hands before lunch). So what am i enjoying the most, you ask? Hmm. I would have to take every variable in to account because i love the idea of creating (which i feel every film major should love). So i dig everything i'm learning because its allowing me to express an idea through a different medium. It is one thing, for example, to read about how to do film processing and it's another to actually do it, which i did, and fucked up. haha. But now that I've learned from my mistake i know what not to do next time.

Though I am learning techniques such as magazine print on film and painting and scratching, I'm also able to express an idea through other forms of narration. Bubba and I have started on our film manipulation and i am confident with the creation of our forms for expressing earth, wind, water, and FIRE; though we still have much to finish. I find it funny that when class starts and Andre is explaining what we're doing how i immediatly shut down because it all seems over my head, but as soon as i start doing what he was explaining than it makes sense. For example, when explaining film processing i was completly lost (should probably wake up earlier than 25 mins before class), i didn't understand what it would do to the film other than "expose" it, which i really didn't understand whatthat exactly did. Then 2 hrs and 45 minutes later, i completly understood what processing did, how you did it, and how to manipulate the film this way. Keanu Reeves to Kung Fu is Lucas Boger to film processing. Whoa.

No comments: