Sunday, April 6, 2008

Ecstasy.

of Inluence. So I was supposed to have read this one last week and Rough Theater this week. But I sort of did the opposite. I appologize, but maybe my blog will be a little different from everyone elses. Copyright. What does it mean? It means that the "creator" can say yay or nay to other people using his or her "creation". In Jonathan Lethem's article he discusses this idea of plagarism. I would agree with Lethem in that all artists are inspired from other creations by other artists. For example, would the Simpsons ever exist had the Flinstones never made it to television? For me personally, comedy is my forte. If comedy was banned from film, I would become a weatherman. As a child, I grew up watching Jim Carrey. Teen years were spent watching Ben Stiller, Will Ferrel, and Mike Myers. I still think Bill Murray is the funniest of them all. So when I conceieve some humorous idea in my head that I think would be funny then it is important to know where my humor is rooted. The same goes with any medium in art. One man's junk is another man's treasure. We (artists) are all influenced from different films, books, songs, poems, etc. that we somehow incorporate into our art, unconsciously or not. I believe the point that Lethem is making is that, for the starving artist, it is important and hard to know what lines you can cross and which ones you can't.

Currently in class it is coming down to the final projects. I'd have to say that I've been more than pleased with how the class's projects have turned out. My brain stimulates in ways it never had before. Bubba and I just finished up our rhythmic editing project. I think we both have some cool projects. His is about nightmares and he has an awesome rhythm and tone to it. Mine is about being drunk and the rhythm is very frantic, but I wanted it that way because I want the viewer to feel drunk as they watch. A viewer already made this comment earlier tonite. Goal successful. As for the found footage project I have yet to really sit down to google ideas that may be fun. Its hard to come up with an original idea because the last thing you want to do is steal someone elses idea, right? I mean you wouldn't steal a car would you?

No comments: